Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Types of Conflict

There are four basic kinds of conflict.
  1. Man vs. Man: Man vs. Man occurs when two figures (Men or Women) have an argument, dispute, disagreement, or any other kind of "dispute".
  2. Man vs Society: This occurs when a figure (Man or Woman) disagrees with a society's laws, values, or beliefs.
  3. Man vs Nature: This type of conflict occurs when a figure has problems with outside forces such as weather, land, animal, etc.
  4. Man vs. Self  The conflict between Man and his/herself occurs when a figure develops an internal struggle between his/her thoughts and ideas. This type of conflict can develop from another type of conflict mentioned above.

3 comments:

  1. I've never thought about dividing up conflict that way.
    I definatley deal with Man vs. Self on a daily basis--"Watch TV, Hannah. You know you want to" "NO!! MUST DO LE100 HOMEWORK!" =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The clip was cutting out on me -- but I think I get the picture --- I guess my reaction is, from a career perspective, we compete in life for position, prestige, social status, financial security, etc. -- But is that truly what defines our lives? Personally, the man v. self conflict is the most potent one -- -- If you study Psychology, at some point, you read Abraham Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs Theory -- essentially, a lifelong struggle about attaining goals that meet our needs as humans -- It may not make a lot of sense when in your teens and 20s -- but, for someone like me in mid 50s, I find myslef thinking about it a lot. --kc

    ReplyDelete